Procedure to Increase Course Capacity
SCHEME FOR PERMISSION OF THE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT TO INCREASE THE ADMISSION CAPACITY IN ANY COURSE OF STUDY OR TRAINING (INCLUDING A POSTGRADUATE COURSE OF STUDY OR TRAINING) IN THE EXISTING MEDICAL COLLEGES/INSTITUTIONS.
- INSTRUCTION TO THE MEDICAL
For increasing the number of seats in the MBBS/Post-graduate Diploma/Degree/Higher Speciality courses, the medical college/institution should conform to the regulations prescribed by the Council. They should apply to the Central Government for this permission along with the permission of State Government, affiliation granted by an University recognised under University Grants Commission Act or State Act or Central Act and in conformity with the Medical Council of India Regulations, along with documentary evidence to show the additional financial allocation, provision for additional space and equipment and other infrastructural facilities and provision for recruitment of additional staff as per the Council norms.
- SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION FEE
The application (Appendix II) under this scheme shall be submitted by registered post to the Secretary (Health), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, Nirman Bhavan, Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi-110011 alongwith the information and non-refundable application fee of two lakh rupees in the form of demand draft in favour of "Medical Council of India" and payable at Delhi. This fee is for registration, fee for technical scrutiny and contingent expenditure and for carrying out of physical inspection for the purpose.
- QUALIFYING CRITERIA
- The medical college/institution shall qualify to apply
for increasing the number of admission in M.B.B.S./P.G.
Diploma/Degree/Higher Speciality Course in the existing medical
college / institution if the following conditions are
- The Medical College/Institution is recognised by the Medical Council of India for running M.B.B.S./P.G. DIPLOMA/PG DEGREE/HIGHER SPECIALITY courses
- Medical College/institution has received the formal permission of the Central Government under section 10A of the Indian Medical Council Act,1956 (102 of 1956) and has started the post-graduate course in which the increase in admission capacity is sought.
- The permission letter regarding desirability and feasibility of having an increase of seats in the existing medical college/institution for aforesaid Courses has been obtained by the applicant from the respective State Government or the Union Territory Administration.
- Letter of University's permission for increasing the admission capacity in any course of study or Training (including a postgraduate course of study or Training) in seats in the existing medical college/institution has been obtained by the medical college/institution from the university to which it is affiliated.
- That the medical college/institution has a feasible and time bound programme to provide additional equipment and infrastructural facilities like the number of staff, space, funds, equipment and teaching beds, etc. for the increased numbers as laid down in the Medical Council of India Regulations.
- The ratio of teaching staff and students shall be as laid down in the Medical Council of India Regulations on Minimum Standard requirements for 50/100/150 annual admissions in a medical college for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) and the Post-graduate Medical Education Regulations for post-graduate admissions.
- That the maximum number of admissions in MBBS course shall not exceed 150 annually.
- That the medical college/institution provides a bank guarantee in favour of Medical Council of India from a Scheduled Commercial bank for providing additional infrastructural facilities as follows :-
Bachelor of Medicine - upto 25 seats - Rs. 50 lakhs and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.) upto 50 seats – Rs. 100 lakhs Postgraduate Diploma per seat - Rs. 3 lakhs Postgraduate Degree per seat - Rs. 5 lakhs Higher Specialities per seat - Rs. 10 lakhs Exception
The above condition shall not apply to
- Medical College/Institution who are governed by the State Governments provided that they shall give an undertaking to provide funds in their plan budget regularly till facilities are fully provided as per the time bound programme indicated by them;
- Courses in the subjects of Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Community Medicine/ Preventive & Social Medicine, Sports Medicine, Hospital Administration, Health Administration, Marine Medicine, Nutrition, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Aviation Medicine.
- To the Diploma where bank guarantee in respect of the post-graduate degree course has been furnished by an institution in the same subject.
- For specialities where the post-graduate degree is already recognised by the Council and institution now wishes to increase admission capacity in Diploma course in the same subject.
- The medical college/institution shall qualify to apply for increasing the number of admission in M.B.B.S./P.G. Diploma/Degree/Higher Speciality Course in the existing medical college / institution if the following conditions are fulfilled:
- REGISTRATION OF APPLICATION
Incomplete applications will be returned to the medical college/institution by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare along with the enclosures and application fee. Applications found complete in all respects will be registered by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and forwarded to Council within 30 days from the date of receiving it for evaluation and recommendations. Acceptance of the application will only signify the acceptance of application for evaluation. It will, however, under no circumstances mean approval of the application for grant of permission.
- PRESCRIBED PERIOD
In computing the time limit specified above, the time taken by the authorities and institutions submitting the scheme in furnishing, any information or clarification or additional documents called for by the Council or by the Central Government shall be excluded.
- EVALUATION BY MEDICAL COUNCIL OF INDIA
The Council shall evaluate the application to accept the desirability and prima-facie feasibility for increasing the admission capacity at the existing medical college/institution and the capability of the medical college/institution to provide the necessary resources and infrastructure for the scheme. While evaluating the application, the Council may seek further information, clarification or additional documents from the applicant as considered necessary and shall carry out a physical inspection to verify the information, clarification or additional documents supplied by the medical college. The dates of receipt of application for increase in admission capacity in postgraduate courses and processing dates are given in the schedule. The dates of receipt of application and processing of applications in respect of increase of seats in MBBS course shall be as per the schedule included in the Establishment of Medical College Regulations, 1999.
- GRANT OF PERMISSION
The Central Government on the recommendations of the Council may issue a Letter of Intent to increase the admission capacity of the courses with such conditions or modifications in the original proposal as may be considered necessary. This letter of intent shall include a clear statement of preliminary requirements to be met. The formal permission will be granted after the above conditions and modifications are accepted and the bank guarantee for the required sums are furnished by the medical college/institution after consulting the council
FORMAT OF APPLICATION FOR PERMISSION OF THE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT TO INCREASE THE ADMISSION CAPACITY IN MEDICAL COLLEGES/ INSTITUTIONS.
APPLICATION FOR INCREASE IN ADMISSION CAPACITY IN MBBS/ M.D./ M.S./ DIPLOMA/ D.M./ M.Ch. COURSE.
(Specify the name of the course)
- PARTICULARS OF THE APPLICANT:
- NAME OF THE APPLICANT (IN BLOCK LETTERS)
- ADDRESS (IN BLOCK LETTERS)
- REGISTERED OFFICE (NO., STREET, CITY, PIN CODE, TELEPHONE, TELEX, TELEFAX)
- CONSTITUTION (STATE GOVERNMENT/UNION TERRITORY ADMINISTRATION / UNIVERSITY/AUTONOMOUS BODY/SOCIETY/TRUST)
- REGISTRATION/INCORPORATION (NUMBER AND DATE)
- NAME OF AFFILIATING UNIVERSITY
- NO. OF SEATS APPROVED AND DATE OF RECOGNITION BY MEDICAL COUNCIL OF INDIA.
(Name, Designation and Signature of applicant)
LIST OF ENCLOSURES
- Attested Copy of the Essentiality Certificate issued by the respective State Government/Union Territory Administration on the prescribed proforma.
- Attested Copy of the Consent of Affiliation issued by a recognised University.
- Authorization letter addressed to the Bankers of the Application authorizing the Central Government/Medical Council of India to make independent enquiries regarding the financial track record of the applicant.
- Attested Copy of the letter from Medical Council of India approving recognition of the college/institution, if any. Note : All the copies shall be attested by any Gazetted Officer.
Note : All the copies shall be attested by any Gazetted Officer.
|TIME SCHEDULE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS FOR OPENING OF POSTGRADUATE (BROAD SPECIALITY) COURSES/ INCREASE OF ADMISSION CAPACITY AND PROCESSING OF THE APPLICATIONS BY THE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT AND MEDICAL COUNCIL OF INDIA.|
|Sl. No.||Stage of Processing||Last Date|
|1||Receipt of applications by the Central Government||Between 15th March to 7th April (both days inclusive of any year|
|2||Forwarding application by the Central Government to Medical Council of India.||By 15th April|
|3||Technical Scrutiny, assessment and recommendations for Letter of Permission by the Medical Council of India.||By 30th September|
|4||Receipt of reply/compliance from the applicant by the Central Government and for personal hearing thereto, if any, and forwarding of compliance by the Central Govt. to the Medical Council of India.||Two months from receipt of recommendation from MCI but not beyond 15th November|
|5||Final recommendations for the Letter of Permission by the Medical Council of India.||By 31st January|
|6||Issue of Letter of Permission by the Central Government.||By 28th February|
|TIME SCHEDULE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS FOR OPENING OF POSTGRADUATE (SUPER SPECIALITY) COURSES/ INCREASE OF ADMISSION CAPACITY AND PROCESSING OF THE APPLICATIONS BY THE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT AND MEDICAL COUNCIL OF INDIA.|
|Sl. No.||Stage of Processing||Last Date|
|1||Receipt of applications by the Central Government||Between 1st August to 21st August (both days inclusive) of any year|
|2||Forwarding application by the Central Government to Medical Council of India.||By 31st August|
|3||Technical Scrutiny, assessment and recommendations for Letter of Permission by the Medical Council of India.||By 31st December|
|4||Receipt of reply/compliance from the applicant by the Central Government and for personal hearing thereto, if any, and forwarding of compliance by the Central Govt. to the Medical Council of India.||By 15th February|
|5||Final recommendations for the Letter of Permission by the Medical Council of India.||By 30th April|
|6||Issue of Letter of Permission by the Central Government.||By 31st May|